The Complete Silver and Clad First Issues Coin Set
- Four landmark coin sets of first-year coins minted for circulation in both silver and copper-nickel clad.
- This extraordinary collection features not just the first year of issue of each of the four coin designs minted in the new composition…but it also includes the first year of issue of the original composition
- All coins minted in 1965 and later are in gleaming uncirculated condition, while earlier coins are in gently circulated condition with all major design details visible. What’s more, each coin is encased in a crystal-clear holder that makes it safe to examine on both sides without fear of damage from dust, dirt or fingerprints.
- An elegant, lockable wooden display case is included at no additonal charge.
The stunning complete collection of one of the rarest events in U.S. Mint history.
In 1942, the U.S. Mint did something it had never done before. It completely changed the primary metals for a circulating coin design – from the standard copper-nickel Jefferson Nickel to a 35% silver coin. The change was dramatic but necessary in order to free up nickel for the production of essential World War II military supplies.
Later, in the mid-1960s and early 1970s, the Mint changed the composition of dimes, quarters and half dollars from 90% silver to copper-nickel when silver bullion prices skyrocketed. Together with the 1942 silver nickel, these are the only times in U.S. Mint history that the same coin design has been made for circulation in copper-nickel and silver.
This collection is extraordinary because it features not just the first year of issue of each of the four coin designs minted in the new composition…but it also includes the first year of issue of the original composition. As a result, every coin is a coveted first issue!
Each of the four sets is truly complete, creating the entire collection of the only coins of their kind in U.S. Mint history:
- First-year 1938 copper-nickel Jefferson Nickel…and first-year 1942 35% silver Jefferson Nickel.
- First-year 1946 90% silver Roosevelt Dime…and first-year 1965 copper-nickel Roosevelt Dime.
- First-year 1932 90% silver Washington Quarter…and first-year 1965 copper-nickel Washington Quarter.
- First-year 1964 90% silver Kennedy Half Dollar…first-year 1965 40% silver Kennedy Half Dollar…and first-year 1971 copper-nickel Kennedy Half Dollar.
Also included is a lockable wooden display case that provides the perfect way to store and exhibit the complete set of coins.
Coins Included: 1942 Jefferson Silver Nickel, 1938 Jefferson Nickel, 1946 Roosevelt Dime, 1965 Roosevelt Dime, 1932 Washington Silver Quarter, 1965 Washington Quarter, 1964 Kennedy Silver Half Dollar, 1965 Kennedy Silver Clad Half Dollar, 1971 Kennedy Half Dollar
Display Material: Wooden
Display Size: 8-3/4" Long x 8-1/2" Wide x 2-1/4" High (Closed)